On the brink of death- From the accumulated leaves even inside the carburetor, obvious grime and totally disgusting rats nest interior, a quart of water in the oil, all the missing and broken parts, impact marks on the flywheel, weird nut and bolts, cut wires and cables and many of the way-off adjustments, it was clear it hadn’t seen proper attention for decades. This old guy was last run in 1963. As of today April 2017 having finished most engine work, it is holding coolant and running smooth. Engine was frozen, carb full of pine needles, dirt and leaves, missing float bowl port plug, crusty, totally stuck, rotten inside. Fuel tank pickup tube plugged, gas tank leaking, starter solenoid points crusted, coil was toast, left head gasket bad, hole in the lower radiator, hoses bad, wiring fraying everywhere, fuel pump leaking, water in the oil, having accumulated from years of rain water getting down the carburetor through the hood seam. Thick sludge in the bottom of the oil pan, crust on all valves and seats, caked thick rust in water jackets, freeze plugs rotted or missing, water pump blades rotted off, etc… Lucky only slight pitting in a small part of one cylinder, does not burn oil! 2 weeks in. I was able to bolt on Bendix 33254 /Delco 5457161 slave cylinders by re-threading for the line and pulling out the brass insert with an easy out so the line would thread in far enough. (1966 Chev and others). I added on an inner tube diaphragm for the fuel pump, (directly over the top of the existing one and its metal cap) but it needed to be stretched as it expands when soaked in gas for a day. It is holding now and pumping for the third day. The spark plugs that matched the length of the originals are NGK B-4H. The headlght rings are off an MGB, a little smaller but good enough. The tail light lenses are from a vintage trailer light cut with a laser engraver. I will look for original stuff later. The Carter carb is from a 59 Buick. The 36-60 series engine numbers started at 6010001. See this page:http:// There are 2 engine numbers. A serial number on the front behind the fan mount on top of the block and a unit number back by the distributor and bell housing drivers side. My serial number was hard to read, very lightly stamped. Matches my title, having the 60 series as part of the serial number, the other unit number has the year code 6A. 1937 was B, 38 had a C in the number. My engine was about the 4,000th one.About half the total Cad production for 1936 of 6712 was this “transformable sedan” 4 door model. I don’t see any confirmation for mention (on one web page) of a straight 8 being available in 36.My estimate of how many 36-60 series there are left: If half are lost every 15 years from neglect or accident: in 1951 there were 1675. in 1985 about 838, in 2000 = 419, in 2015 = 209… If half are lost every 14 years: in 1950 there were 1675, in 1964 there were 838, 1978 = 419, 1992 = 209, 2016 = 105. But then you have the effect of collectors, preserving most after about 1980. So perhaps 375 remain today in restorable or restored condition.This car was amazing in many ways – from the quality of little things like connectors and cables, to the solid quality steel, all the dash lights and a beautiful clock, overhead light and reading lights, smooth lever shocks, radio, adjustable hood vents, fresh air scoop, rear passenger adjustable windows, to the big anti-sway bar and powerful, reliable V8 engine and beautiful lines. Update- May 11 2017. front seat usable now, new tires and wheels stripped and painted, (I went tubeless), fuel tank repaired and flushed, New windshield installed, all dash gauges and lights are working, headlights and tail lights back in shape, tranny and clutch are OK, e-brake is patched back together, some suspension bushings replaced, pivots lubed, now rides smooth and comfy. Horns have been added and an external rear view mirror to make it legal. Fuel pump with its inner tube diaphragm is still working after 12 days. Waiting to get a new carb float installed before serious long range testing. Brakes are flushed, 3 new slaves and one rebuilt, 1 new flex line. New master in hand- waiting as a backup. Front floors functional now with some new wood and other repairs.
Copyright © 2019 HAFID INTERNATIONAL LIMITED All rights reserved.